How to Run an Individual Book Drive
Please note: you must confirm dates on “The Book Drive Form (URL) before beginning your drive.
1. Please advertise 1-2 weeks before the date of the drive, you can use the attached flyer or make your own. We suggest posting on social media on community and school pages to get the highest rate of participation for the drive.
2. Ask around for friends and family to save Copy Paper boxes with lids (sized 17x12x9) from their workplaces. If you cannot find copy paper sized boxes, you can purchase EXTRA SMALL moving boxes from Home Depot or Lowes. This ensures boxes don’t get too heavy for transport. Our volunteers that pick up the boxes can’t lift them if they are too heavy. Please plan ahead for the book drive and ask other volunteers to save copy paper boxes. Bags are not accepted.
3. To sort the books you collect: set up 5 copy paper sized boxes and label them with the following categories.
• Baby Board Books
• Picture Books
• Elementary Chapter Books
• Young Adult (middle/high)
***Sort non fiction books along with the appropriate age category
***Books can be new or used!
***We do NOT accept encyclopedias, magazines, CDs or DVDs
4. Seal or close each box as they fill up. Boxes need to be closed so we can stack them in the warehouse and so they don’t fall out during transport.
5. When the drive is complete: Please e-mail us at: email@example.com with:
- Number of boxes to be picked up
- Address of pickup
- Contact name and number
- Preferred day of pickup (Tuesday to Thursday).*
*We request one week’s notice for pickup.
PLEASE NOTE: We partner with volunteers from special needs day hab groups for our pickups. They cannot enter your home beyond the doorway to collect the boxes.
**If you need Community Service Hours, please remember to record how many hours you spend doing the book drive and The Book Fairies will send you a confirmation letter**
Thank you again for all of your support! It is because of your dedicated effort, The Book Fairies has donated over 2.8 million books. We couldn’t do it without you!
Questions, Comments, Concerns? Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org