Book Drive Instructions
Please do not move forward with your plans to host a book drive for The Book Fairies until you have submitted a book drive application and you have received a confirmation email from us.
1. We recommend advertising 1-2 weeks before the date of the drive; you can use the attached flyer or make your own. We suggest posting on social media, as well as community and school pages to get the highest rate of participation for the drive.
2. Ask friends and family to save Copy Paper boxes with lids (sized 17x12x9) This will ensure the box weight is approximately 25-30 lbs. allowing our volunteers to safely lift & carry each box. If you cannot find copy paper sized boxes, EXTRA SMALL moving boxes can be purchased from Home Depot or Lowes. Please know that when purchasing these boxes, you are also contributing to The Book Fairies mission. These boxes are not only used to collect books during your drive, but we will use them again when bringing books to the schools and organizations we support. We cannot accept bags.
*Our Transportation volunteers cannot take oversized or overweight boxes.
3. Set up a bin or bins in a high-traffic area. As books come in, pack them into the copy paper boxes, fill boxes to the top so they can close. Sorting the books as they come in is a huge help to us, but NOT necessary. Please see step 3A for more information on how to sort books.
3a. How to sort books:
Label the outside of the box with the appropriate category.
• Baby Board Books
• Picture Books
• Elementary Chapter Books
• Young Adult (Middle School & High School)
For more information on how to sort books, view our training video.
4. As boxes fill up, close or seal them tight. Try to completely fill each box.
5. When the drive is complete, you can schedule a pickup or drop off day by using the link you were given in the confirmation email you received from us. We request one week’s notice for pickup. Our pickup ranges from Eastern Long Island to Eastern Queens. If you are outside of our pickup zone, boxes can be delivered to us at The Book Fairies, 70 North Main Street, Freeport, NY 11520. Pickup hours are 9:00-12:00 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Drop off hours are 10:00-2:00 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Please note: We partner with volunteers from special needs day hab groups for our pickups. They cannot enter your home or school beyond the doorway to collect the boxes. Please do what you can to make their job easier, we could not do what we do without their support.
To receive a Community Service Hours Letter: at the end of your drive, you will receive an email with a link to schedule your pickup or drop off. Simply indicate if the boxes are sorted or unsorted, enter the total hours spent on the drive, a brief explanation of how this time was spent, and the number of boxes ready for pickup. Once the boxes arrive at the warehouse, you will receive an emailed letter from The Book Fairies confirming your hours.
Questions, Comments, Concerns? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org